Free School Meals
We are aware that fewer students are currently registered for free school meals than has been the case in previous years. We wish to ensure that all families with such entitlement have the opportunity to apply to be included in the scheme.
There are two reasons why it is important that families entitled to this benefit register their claim:-
- Students receive a daily allowance, currently £2.45, which enables them to purchase a healthy two-course hot lunch or other food. It also entitles them to free milk. Furthermore, our cashless catering system does not differentiate between a student who pays for their meals and a student on free school meals.
- All schools receive additional funding from the government based on the number of students who are entitled and have claimed free school meals. We currently receive £955 for each student registered as eligible for free school meals at any point in the last 6 years. Just registering your child for free school meals means that the school gets this extra money! As I am sure you will appreciate, any additional funding is always needed to help the school provide a full and enriched education for all of its students.
You can register your child for free school meals if you receive any of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit with an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400.
- Child Tax Credit (with no Working Tax Credit) with an annual income of no more than £16,190.
- Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’ – the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
- Income Support.
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
- Support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit.