Key Stage 3
At Key Stage 3 students have 8 lessons each fortnight and are banded into broad groups based on ability. The main programmes of work in each year of Key Stage 3 are summarised as follows with further details contained in schemes of work:
- Fiction: The theme of childhood with texts including Key text, Harry Potter, poetry and non-fiction.
- Myths and Legends: Key texts Beowulf and Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief.
- Mystery and Detection: A variety of short prose texts and creative writing.
- Infamy: Key text, Stone Cold and extracts from fiction and non-fiction.
- Language and its uses: Key text Much Ado About Nothing and persuasive language of charity campaigns, advertising and speeches.
- The Great Debate: resources include – Speaking and Listening, non-fiction, travel writing, prose and poetry.
- Classic fiction: Key text of Mice and Men.
- Classic fiction: Gothic texts including prose, poetry and non-fiction.
- Happy Ever After?: Key text Romeo and Juliet plus, short stories, poetry and prose texts.
- Innocence and Experience: War Poetry or poetry from other cultures and times.
- GCSE Preparation: A prose text and writing.
Key Stage 4
GCSE English is a core subject and is studied by all students at Key Stage 4. All students study for the GCSE in English Language and the GCSE in English Literature. There is also a Speaking and Listening Exam.
At Key Stage 4 we offer a choice of the following courses:
Key Stage 5
At Key Stage 5 we offer a choice of the following courses (please click on the links below to visit the Sixth Form Website):